I came across some great elementary school mud-poetry in the Burlington Free Press.
Mud
By Avery Follett, grade 3
Yucky mud
Mucky mud
Mud is on my feet.
Sticky mud
Icky mud
Why is it so deep?
Slip and Slide
By Lily Weisgold, grade 4
Rain boots on.
Out I go.
I leave them by the front door.
Joy, joy, it's mud.
I hop, I jump, and I leap for mud.
It squeezes. It squishes.
It feels like chocolate pudding.
Faster, faster, I leap, I jump.
SPLAT I land face down in mud.
I giggle.
I get up.
SPLAT I slip again.
I'm covered in mud.
Slipping and sliding all around.
I can't stand on the squishy ground.
A Muddy Day
by Sam Edwards-Kuhn, grade 4
It was April. Everywhere I looked, there was mud. I love mud. It was like heaven to me.
I went outside to play. I was jumping around in the mud, sliding in the mud, and making mud forts. I was having the best day of my life until I realized that I probably wouldn't be allowed in the house again.
All of a sudden I wasn't sure I liked mud so much.