Given how seldom we went to Sears, it's funny how many stories I have about the place. There was the time we bought a lawnmower there, but someone neglected to record it when we picked it up, so every month or so we got a phone call telling us to come down and pick up a(nother) lawnmower. Then there was the time that I found the perfect braided rug there, but they refused to sell it to us because it was a discontinued floor model (though they did, again, offer us a free lawnmower.) Austin waited for a shift change, bought the rug, and dashed out before the manager noticed. I'll never forget the vision of him running out the door with the rolled-up rug under his arm yelling "Hurry! Open the trunk!!!"
Now I live in Vermont nowhere near a Sears. (Sadly, nowhere near a Target, either.) I shop online for almost everything. The other day, searching for lightweight cotton blankets for the kids for summer, I found some great Lands End blankets for half price . . . on Sears.com. I thought I'd give it another try. After all, we're not at 69th street anymore. So I ordered two blankets, and a week later two boxes arrived on my doorstep. I opened the first box. Two blankets, just as I had ordered. I opened the second box. Two blankets, identical to the two I had just opened.
After calling my credit card company to make sure I wasn't double-charged, I called Sears customer service to arrange to send the extra box back. They said UPS would pick up the box. UPS didn't. So I called again, and was again assured that UPS would call and arrange to pick up the box. They haven't. I was about to call Sears for the third time, when I decided to sit down and write this message and seek your advice. To wit,
How many times am I morally obligated to call Sears before I just give up and KEEP THE EXTRA BLANKETS?!
(Update: May 3rd. Thanks for the feedback comments. Called Sears for the fourth time last night. Explained, for the fourth time, that they need to send UPS to pick up the extra box. The sales associate said that in her opinion, I should just keep the box since Sears and UPS have had three weeks to get their act together. Fine. I tried! Anyone need some extra blankets? I bet I could get you a free lawnmower, too...)