Sunday, August 1, 2010
Thanks, Dad!
Wow -- speaking of getting great help with projects -- my Dad came to visit for one day last Friday. He reversed my dryer door while I was making lunch. He talked me through a plan to remodel the upstairs bathroom. He went out to the chicken coop and tore out the old nest box and installed the new one. Then, the next thing I knew, my kitchen sink was on the floor.
The project was supposed to just be a faucet cartridge replacement to stop the drip. But why replace a cartridge when you can replace the whole faucet? And why just pull the faucet out when you can remove the whole sink and fix the countertop? To make things more interesting, we started this project in the late afternoon after all three hardware stores in Northfield were closed. The closest Home Depot is an hour away in New Hampshire. Fortunately, we only had to make one emergency Home Depot run.
We always promise that we won't ask Dad to do projects when he comes, but somehow we always end up doing projects, and they always end up being more complicated than we expect. Dad says he likes doing home improvements when he comes to visit, and that it was all worth it to see the kids and eat a fried egg that was still warm from the chicken. I don't know if that's really true, but I do know that I appreciate having a Dad who is both incredibly talented and a good sport.