Friday, February 11, 2011

Date Night

Lucy burst in yesterday after school and announced in a rapturous voice, "I have a date with destiny!"
Actually, it was a date with her dad, for the annual Daddy-Daughter Valentine's Dance at the Capitol Hotel in Montpelier. She has been looking forward to this for months.

They both looked ravishing.

The night consisted of a fancy dinner at a restaraunt then a hotel ballroom full of balloons, chocolate, popcorn, punch, and squealing girls. Apparently Lucy joined a roving pack of Northfield 3rd graders but deigned to dance with her dad for a couple of slow dances. I'd been wondering why Austin made such a point of telling all Lucy's friends' dads about the dance -- now I realize it was so he'd have someone to talk to!


Meanwhile -- my date Gavin just wanted to stay home and build a fort where we could watch videos and eat Pringles and cookies. So I spent the evening with my best pal, laying on the floor underneath my kitchen table, watching Toy Story and making shadow puppets in the light of a headlamp. I'd say great time was had by all.