Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Exam Answers

According to a student exam I graded this morning, the French Revolution happened "when the smurfs rose up against their masters"



Yup, the smurfs. They must have hated feudalism as much as the serfs did.


I had a couple more doozies on the French Revolution:


"Revolutionary France was a headless beast, slashing and striking at whatever its blind senses could feel." (I think this was the least hyperbolic sentence in the paper.)

"Killing all those people with the guillotine was a total waste of time."



The exams from World Civilizations were pretty interesting too.


"The Europeans had a very diverse set of religions and of them different subgroups for different beliefs. This consisted of Christians, the Jewish, Catholics, Protestants, Calvinists, Lutherans, and people of the Jesuit order."


"The Chinese rejected Christianity. They were mostly Confusionists."



"China viewed all other religions besides their own as foreign."



Clearly, we need to spend a little more time on religion. And perhaps geography?


"Cortez conquered the Aztecs and then Pisarro conquered the Inuits."


Man, it must have been cold up there -- not like Peru where the Incas lived. I wonder if the Inuits taught the Conquistadors to build igloos?