Sunday, October 2, 2011

Family Heritage Wall

I've been planning to make a "heritage wall" of family pictures for YEARS, and finally got it up yesterday.  I thought finding the pictures would be the hardest part -- I wanted black and white photos, candids if possible, of Austin's and my grandparents and great-grandparents.  That turned out to be easy: the hard part was finding frames I liked.  I spent gobs of money on frames at Pottery Barn but found that the mat overwhelmed the picture, so I took them all back.  Then I found these "float" frames at Jo-Ann's fabrics -- the picture sits between two pieces of glass so there is no mat, just the wall color showing behind the picture.  Perfect.  And all the frames were less than $5 each. 


I have to share some of my favorite pictures.


This is my grandfather, Elden Fisher, as a young teenager.  Check out those skinny arms and legs!



Elden's father, Albert Lee Fisher, is kneeling front right.  He's a coach of the Oxford Basketball team (see the printing on the ball?) Oneida Stake Champions for 1922-23.  Apparently, grandpa Elden didn't make the team.  He probably needed to grow some muscles like these guys first.



Great-grandpa Albert Lee Fisher doing a headstand in his church suit.  Maybe this is where Gavin gets the idea that church clothes are play clothes?



This is Austin's grandfather Robert Sion Reed, a handsome and brooding World War II sailor.



 Robert Sion's father "Pap" Reed (right) making coffee in camp somewhere out in the Eastern Arizona desert.



Simeon Adams Dunn (right), Austin's great-grandfather, heading off to World War I.




My great-grandfather, Jesse H. Nix, also on his way to World War I.




My grandmother, Ruth Carlson Nix, as a nursing student.

I also have pictures of my teenage-grandfather Kenneth Nix eating lunch from a tin lunchbox on a break from Kennecott Copper and some awesome pictures of Austin's grandmother, Alla Pearl Reed.  But for some reason they wouldn't download.  I'll have to try them again later.  Or you can come to my house and see them on the wall.