The kids picked their Halloween costumes in July, as usual. Gavin wanted to be Captain Jack Sparrow, and Lucy followed her usual literary theme and chose Tonks from Harry Potter. While gathering the pieces of their costumes, I picked up a moose costume on sale for me, thinking maybe this year I wouldn't be the lame mom who never dresses up.
Naturally, it was the moose costume that was the real hit. Gavin wore the "hooves" around the house for days. He even ate his breakfast with them on.
When the day came for trick-or-treat at Norwich, Gavin ditched the pirate suit to be the moose. (Much to the disappointment of my students, who hoped to see me in it.)
Lucy, meanwhile, had discovered the old inflatable chicken suit we've had around since she was a toddler and decided that was the costume for her.
She even went as the chicken for her school UNICEF parade.
Gavin decided neither moose nor pirate would do for the UNICEF parade, and dug out an old ghost costume from the dress-up box. So that meant I could finally be the moose.
Gavin and his friends "petting" the moose.
So what did we do when the real Halloween came around, you ask? Well, Lucy decided to trick-or-treat as Tonks after all. Gavin wore the ghost suit and went as an "albino Dementor." Austin was cold so he decided to wear the moose head. And I went in my usual guise as the lame mom who doesn't dress up.







