Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Thoughts on Santa


In the past few weeks, both of our kids have had major crises of faith regarding Santa.  The first was Gavin’s when, reading ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, he discovered that Santa smokes a pipe.  Having been thoroughly indoctrinated in the evils of tobacco both at church and at school, the poor kid was horrified.  “But I thought Santa was a Mormon!” he cried.  (Cue long discussion about how people who smoke can still be good people, and not all good people are Mormons.)
The second crisis was Lucy’s.  After a couple of years of dancing around the subject, she finally came up and asked me directly whether Santa was real. 
This is a very, very difficult question for me to answer.

Long ago, before we had kids, I found myself swayed by the argument that if I tell my children to believe in Santa and tell them to believe in God, then say “just kidding” about Santa, they will never have faith in God.  Like many philosophical notions, this one crumbled in the face of parental realities.  Trying to explain to a wide-eyed, two-year-old Lucy that Santa is a metaphor simply didn’t work.  Toddlers don’t get the concept of metaphor – and anyway, the explanation wasn’t completely satisfying to me.

My mother absolutely, positively believes in Santa.  I have never heard her concede that Santa isn’t the one who fills the stockings and brings the “big” present on Christmas.  Mom doesn’t believe in all magical holiday creatures: one of my favorite memories is of the year she declared herself “too tired” to be the Easter Bunny, and sent my brother Dave and I out to get basket filler for all our younger siblings.  Mom has spent many a Christmas afternoon fast asleep, but has never been “too tired” on Christmas Eve.  Even in the face of my dad’s perennial grouchy Grinchiness, Christmas morning has always been magical at my house.
I guess I have to admit it.  I believe in Santa too.

Is there a fat guy in a red suit hanging out with reindeer and elves at the North Pole, squeezing down chimneys and smoking his pipe in people’s living rooms?  I’ll grant you, probably not.  But I firmly believe in all the wonder and magic and charity that Santa embodies.  There is something special about Christmastime that is hard to put into words.  It has to do with divine love and the incarnation of God into the form of a tiny Jewish baby, but all of that is mysterious and theologically complex.  I’m not sure I can entirely grasp it, much less explain it to a kid.  The image of a jolly, omniscient, loving but sternly judgmental Santa Claus fulfills my need to personify (my postmodernist friends would say “reify”) the meaning of the baby in the manger.
I admit that every Christmas morning, a small part of me wonders if there will be a surprise by the tree that wasn’t there when I went to bed the night before.  Some token left by a guy in a sleigh.  Every year I wake up to squeals of joy from my children and come downstairs and find that everything is as I left it the night before.  But somehow I find that I’m not disappointed by this.  I may have bought the gifts and stuffed the stockings myself, but all of these things become transformed in the night.  By the time the kids wake up, the magic has happened.  Santa has come.

Yes, Lucy, there is a Santa Claus.