Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ghana Gavin

I tried to talk Gavin into doing Germany for his country report, but he insisted on studying Ghana, where his Grandpa goes several times a year. We have a lot of Ghanaian stuff around the house from Grandpa's travels, and we had lots of West African friends when we lived in Philly, but I didn't know much about Ghana as a country until Gavin's report. 


Gavin did a presentation to his class wearing a traditional Ghanaian-fabric wrap.  The mask was a huge hit with the kids, as were Grandpa's pictures of a Ghanaian first grade class in an open pavillion with a grass roof, and his pictures of women carrying bananas and toilet paper in baskets on their heads. I brought some Ghanaian drum music and Gavin taught the class a fun dance we learned from some of Grandpa's videos. Imagine doing the chicken dance to a drum beat and you've got it.



I think the kids (and parents!) enjoyed the chance to stand up and dance around for a while in the middle of nineteen first grade country reports!