I have to put this on the blog or I will never believe it happened.
Our weird, warm winter got even weirder and warmer around the middle of March this year. We had a series of gorgeous sunny, 60-degree days that melted what little snow we had and quickly dried up the mud. (Shortest mud season Vermont has ever seen, I'm told.) That was followed by four 80-degree days in a row. In the middle of March. In Vermont. I kid you not.
Last weekend, we celebrated St. Patricks Day by putting up the trampoline and swings for summer. Just in time for the July heat wave that showed up four months early.
We are going to have to get completely reacquainted with the river this summer. Thanks to Hurricane Irene, it is much wider than it was last summer, having eaten into the bank on the other side by about 20 or 30 feet. The island that used to divide the river down near the bridge footings has disappeared and the direction of the river has shifted. It is a completely different river, and I can't stop staring in amazement at the changes. I hope we can spend a lot of time in the river this summer and get used to its new personality.
But. . . we probably won't get a chance to get in the river soon. Forecasts for next week call for highs in the 30s. We may still need those snow boots that are competing for space with flip-flops next to the front door.





