Thursday, May 29, 2014

Track Star

 Lucy announced a few months ago that her spring sport was going to be track.
 
I wasn't sure she had the stamina to make it through gruelling practices, but I seriously underestimated this girl. She never missed or wimped out on any track practices this spring, and she competed in every track meet. She even rocked "Foley Fun Days" where the coach put them through crazy hard exercises. She got a new personal record with each new meet in the 100 meters and the long jump. As she put it, "I wasn't the fastest, Mom. But I wasn't the slowest either!"
 



Coach Luke Foley

Happiest puppy ever.
Having a runner in the family turned out to be quite useful last week when Austin agreed to run in the Corporate Cup 5K race on the Champlain College team in place of a guy named Skip Harris, who was injured. Austin's turf toe has been acting up and the day of the race he felt terrible, but he didn't want to let the team down. Just as he was dithering about whether to show up anyway, Lucy jumped up and offered to be Skip Harris in his place. The team, who otherwise would have been short one, were happy to take Lucy on board.
 
One of these things
is not like the others . . .
 
So that's how my Lucy, aka Skip Harris, helped Champlain College get a 6th place team finish in the Over 40 Men's division!