This year, Gavin decided to give fall soccer another try. It's the recess game of choice for most of his pals and he had a great time playing soccer with our cute Chinese exchange students this summer.
![]() |
| So serious about this game. |
He completely loved it. He's probably not the next Pele or Messi, but he couldn't wait to get to the practices and the games and he always begged us to let him stay as a sub for the next game or run around on the field after practice (even though it was usually pitch dark by the time practice ended!)
Meanwhile, Lucy has been running cross-country. She does these crazy grueling practices after school and 6:00 am on Fridays, where she runs straight up hills or to the top of Paine Mountain or eight straight miles along the road, or does other things that sound insane to me but somehow fill her with joy. She has great coaches, which probably helps, and good friends on the team as well. I love these middle school girl runners, every one of them. Actually, I might even run if it means I got to hang out with these fun girls.
Cross-country meets are more fun than track meets, I've discovered. Spectators can line the course, and run from place to place to cheer on the runners as they come by. I've tried to take action photos a few times, but I'm usually screaming at the top of my lungs and ringing two cow bells while operating the camera, which doesn't work out too well.
![]() |
| Waiting for team results . . . |
![]() |
| First place at the Harwood Meet! |







