Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Good news!

I'm starting to think I should play the lottery. The past two weeks I've had one piece of good news after another, and I'm starting to feel like the luckiest person alive. Since this can't possibly last, I feel like I should document how it feels right now to have an amazing job where I am supported and appreciated and encouraged to do interesting things.

1. Homer L. Dodge Award!

Norwich gives one big teaching award every other year, the only recognition for teaching that is offered on our teaching-centered campus. I have fantastic colleagues who chose to come to Norwich specifically because they love teaching. So it's absolutely awesome to get nominated for this award and even better to actually WIN! Especially since winning comes along with a packet of support letters written by colleagues and students and a nice, fat check. I'm enjoying the brief break from the under-appreciated feeling shared by all teachers everywhere.

I'll wear this getup to give a speech at Convocation in the fall.

2. Dana Summer Research Grant!

I put in for a competitive summer research grant to finish up a couple of articles and get some progress going on my book, and I got it! It means I'll have lots of writing to do this summer, but the funds will help send the kids to summer camp (if I can get them to go -- otherwise, I may have to bribe them to create their own summer camp schedule. All I know is, I'm writing.)


3. Maymester Proposal Approved!

My proposal was chosen for the inaugural Maymester program -- I get to take a dozen students to Germany next May! And, darn it, I'll have to make a reconnaissance trip before that to check out some accommodations and make sure you really can still get to all those fun, historic places from Augsburg on a train. Austin and the kids have generously offered to come with me to help. So nice of them.
Maybe Christmas would be a good time for a visit!

4. Free trip to England!

One of my students got funded to do summer undergraduate research on Catholic minorities in England, and he wants to work in a regional archive. So I just go approved to go with him! I'm going to help set him up and try to build some connections with the archive, so I can get original materials to use for in-class research and, I hope, send more students to work in England in the future. Mom has been wanting to go to England so she's going to come too, visiting family and doing some exploring while I am at work. I'm so excited!

A week in Stratford-upon-Avon? Yes, please.

5. New Computer!

I have had my computer for barely a year and a half, but it was giving me some trouble because it was running so slow. When I took it to IT, I was informed that I was on the list for a replacement. I kept insisting that it hadn't been three years so I wasn't actually eligible for a replacement, and they kept insisting that I was on their list and they had a new computer for me. I finally decided to stop arguing with their list. Now I have a lighter computer that's nice and fast to use for all my work this summer!

6. Library Classroom!

The library is being renovated, and they are putting in two fancy new classrooms. I put in an application to hold my fall Historical Methods class in one, arguing that the library is a lab for history students.  It got accepted! So I'll be holding one of my fall classes in a great new "pod" instruction space with all the latest technology and options for flexible arrangements. 

7. Wolf Hall!

I loved the Hilary Mantel novel about Thomas Cromwell and the court of Henry VIII, and I've been surprised and thrilled with how great the BBC adaptation is. New episodes have come out weekly over the past three weeks, but the DVD is now released so I can watch the rest whenever I get in the mood. Such a great series. I can't wait to use this in my fall Reformation class. 


8. Spring is here!

It's been a tough winter, but it appears that summer will actually make an appearance this year. The big pile of snow on the north side of the barn is almost gone. I decided I wanted raised beds for gardening this year, and within a week our handyman had made and installed them and the local greenhouse guy had delivered a load of dirt for them. All ready for planting!

9. Book Club!

Lucy and I are hosting the mother-daughter book club this week on the 5th anniversary of its founding. We're planning a party to celebrate 60 book club meetings that started when she was in second grade. Now she's going into eighth grade. I love these girls and moms and I love this tradition. 
All these 4th graders are now in middle school, and still love books.

Not everything is completely perfect. The dog has a double ear infection, my windshield has a big crack across it (thanks, mud season), and the big barn is falling down. I have stacks of papers to grade. My fence is in dire need of paint and the chicken coop has got to be dealt with. Life goes on. But wow, it does feel nice to bask in good things for a while!