It's been a lovely summer so far.
![]() |
| Luna moth on the screen door |
It's been a productive summer, too. For me, at least. I got an article revised and accepted for publication and an essay written for an edited collection. I'm making pretty good progress on a book chapter for my own project, too.
This in spite of the fact that neither Gavin nor Lucy was willing to do any kind of summer camp this year! I suggested Lotus Lake -- no go. No other options met with any better response. But I have work to do, so I can't just sit home with the kids, nagging them to get off their screens and go outside and exercise the dog and ride their bikes etc. etc.
The perfect solution:
Home Summer Camp!
Every day from 8:30 to 3:00, the kids do their own camp. They have to exercise, either by riding their bikes to swimming lessons, or by going for a run or a bike ride. They have to do some community service, which they've done every day by riding their bikes to the Senior Center to help serve and clean up lunch. Lucy has to exercise the dog, and Gavin has to do at least 1/2 hour of piano and/or trombone. After their "have-to" activities, they have the option of playing outside, biking to the pool, reading books, playing games, or doing something creative until one of their parents gets home at 3:00. During their "camp" day, they are not allowed to play video games or watch movies or text friends, and they are not allowed to fight. If they can manage all this, they each get paid $10/day.
So far, this has turned out to be my most brilliant parenting move ever.
They have forfeited only one day's pay for not getting along (an argument over who got the best spot at the sink doing dishes at the Senior Center). And they have managed to stay off their screens and devices every single day until 3:00. They have spent the summer riding their bikes all over town, romping through the woods and the river with the dog, reading books, and helping the elderly. Basically, they are doing everything kids should do in the summer, and all without me hassling them! Even better, they now have money to spend so they don't nag me for cash to buy creemees or the other little treats and treasures that kids think they so desperately need, despite all parental arguments to the contrary. I have been impressed, they have both mostly saved the money they have earned. And they have been careful about paying tithing.
I know this wouldn't be possible if we didn't live in the perfect spot on the edge of a safe little town, with my office a mile from home. I'm right nearby if they need me, which they mostly haven't. The one day that Gavin had a big bike crash and got all scraped up, I was home within 5 minutes of Lucy's phone call. A couple of times, they have biked up to Norwich to meet me for lunch, which has been lots of fun too. Letting them be on their own for most of the day is a bit terrifying and mom-guilt-inducing, but they have risen to the challenge and both have demonstrated great maturity and trustworthiness. Best summer ever -- for them and for me!
