Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Elephants

Sunday afternoon I was driving through Augsburg with some friends and saw two elephants waiting for the bus.

They were standing alongside the road, next to a bus shelter, placidly munching on some long grass.

I was told that they probably weren't waiting for a bus, their trainers from the nearby circus camp probably brought them there to eat the grass. Still, it was a pretty unusual sight. I told the kids and they were jealous. They only get to see moose and deer wander by at home. They want to come to Germany where drivers have to watch out for elephants.

I'm leaving tomorrow, finally, to return to the land of moose. I went to Ulm today and found a wealth of research treasures, which the good women at the archive are busy copying for me. They will send them to me at Norwich, where I can explore them when I have some time. I can't wait to come home to my beautiful house and my beautiful children and my fabulous husband. I love you guys!