Saturday, April 11, 2009

Oxford

Last week I went to England to give a paper at Worcester College, Oxford. This is what the college looks like.

On the right end of this building is the dining hall. I wish I'd had the guts to take a picture of the inside. It was just like Hogwarts -- a tall, narrow room with long rows of tables that had wooden benches to sit on (the only real chairs were for the "College Fellows" -- the Oxford professors who sat at a table at the head of the room.) The food was wonderful, though it was brought to us by real people, not house elves.

I presented my paper in a conference room with stone walls and glass doors looking out over a quiet river, with geese, ducks, and weeping willow trees. (No whomping willows, as far as I could tell.) The trees and spring flowers were all in bloom. It was the perfect setting to talk about parish church architecture -- really, the perfect setting to talk about just about anything!