We are taking advantage of Mom's availability to leave our children in Vermont and go on a little trip together to Germany. We miss them -- a little -- but we are having a blast visiting all the places in Augsburg we've come to love together.
We arrived in Augsburg yesterday and blundered right into a parade of Germans all dressed up in traditional Bavarian gear, complete with oompah-band, accordians and tubas. Quite a "welcome to Germany" moment! This place is foreign in so many ways -- bizarre haircuts and clothes, techno music competing with the accordion players, old ladies everywhere riding bicycles with their shopping in the basket. But it is also very familiar because we have spent so much time here, and it never seems to change. Or maybe it does change but I don't notice because I mostly experience Augsburg as the sixteenth-century town I find in the archives and libraries.
Tomorrow I'm off to the archives again. Austin's job is to plan a fun weekend vacation for us to someplace romantic, maybe Prague or Venice? We have to make the best possible use of our kid-free vacation!