There are so many highlights I'm not sure where to begin. The kids would probably say the ferry ride across the St. Lawrence River was one of their favorite parts. It was pretty fun.
Plenty of wanna-be Cirque performers showed off their stuff in the town square. These acrobat / fire jugglers were pretty good, but did they really need to be in their underwear? I'm not sure it helped their act.
The people I found most fascinating were fully dressed -- in period costumes, no less, from the 17th-18th century period when Quebec was the capital of New France. There was a Nouvelle Francaise festival going on, which I guess gave everyone the excuse they needed to put on their best outfits and go promenading around in the streets. "I see George Washington!" Gavin kept shouting. At least he got the time period right.
I loved that Quebec has European-style bakeries with yummy chocolate croissants and gelato. Yummmm! That was the best part for me. The desserts alone made the trip worth it. Even though on the way up to Quebec we had to learn a new French phrase: "mon pneu et la plat" = I have a flat tire. Lucky we had the French phrasebook along (and Gavin, who is convinced he speaks French.) There don't seem to be any English-speaking mechanics in Quebec. Fortunately, they were all very patient and nice and we managed to get new tires and on our way without too much hassle! We refuse to be disuaded by a "pneu plat" -- we'll definitely be coming back soon.