Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ugh.

So . . . I thought I was just gaining a little weight from spending too much time sitting at my desk.

Nope.

I went to the specialist in Burlington today and confirmed that I have a nice big tumor growing on my ovary. Massive, actually. 21 centimeters. My belly is about the size of a person who is 5 months pregnant. No wonder my clothes don't fit!

Next Thursday, November 18th, I'm having surgery to have the whole mess removed. We're hopeful that it's just a weird benign growth, but the doctor is acting aggressively just in case it's something else. My mom's mom died of ovarian cancer so I am considered at risk, despite my age and the fact that I have no symptoms at all other than an enlarging waistline. We'll know for sure after the surgery.

In the meantime, we're doing pretty well. I'm determined not to freak out about all of this unless I'm given a good reason to. (And I'll let you know either way.) Mom is on her way out for a couple of weeks to help while I recover. But I would gladly take your prayers. And some suggestions for some good books to read while I'm laid up in bed!