Saturday, July 2, 2011

Planes, Trains, Automobiles

Travel is all about the adventure, right? Yesterday, I took almost every conceivable form of transportation getting from Cambridge, England, to Augsburg, Germany.

I woke up in the village of Landbeach, a few miles outside Cambridge. I took a TAXI into town to meet my student. We had a lovely morning at King's College, including climbing on the roof of the Kings College chapel (amazing pictures to follow) and lunch with some of the Cambridge fellows.

Then I took a BUS into London. The driver dropped me off in the very interesting London neighborhood of Stratford, where I was supposed to meet a connecting bus to London City Airport. I haven't been the only white person at a bus stop since I lived in Philly, and it made me strangely nostalgic. The people at the bus were from Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia, all very colorfully dressed, friendly and helpful. When the connecting bus didn't come, they directed me to the Underground Station. I took the SUBWAY then connected to a COMMUTER RAIL line that got me to the airport.

I still made my PLANE with plenty of time to spare, because it was an hour delayed. I was worried about how that would effect things on the other end, since I got in after midnight, but luckily Munich never sleeps! I took the S-BAHN (which was full of very well dressed, very happy, very drunk teenagers . . . prom night?) and then a surprisingly-crowded TRAIN to Augsburg. I walked from the train station to my hotel and got in at 2:45am. Glad to be here, and glad to not have to travel again until I come home next Thursday!