This year we went up to Austin's Vermont Bar Association meetings in Montreal, and got to stay in the executive suite at the Sheraton. Seriously, this place was like a condo. I think it had more square footage than our house! The kids made themselves right at home, claiming the conference table for their toys and crafts, and snuggling up in the king-sized pullout to watch French cartoons.
Austin REALLY wanted to go ice skating, so we went over to the indoor rink Thursday afternoon before his meetings began. It was a bit more crowded than Vermont rinks, but nice and warm -- no coats necessary! Lucy was easy to spot -- somehow she didn't get the memo that everyone wears black in Montreal. (I missed it too, looking conspicuously like a tourist in my lime green parka.)
The kids and I spent one day at the Insectarium and Botanical Gardens. It was a chilly walk from the metro station up to the Olympic park where the museums are, but it was well worth it once we got inside.
![]() |
| "My ears are cold!" |
![]() |
| That bottom leaf isn't a leaf. It's a bug. Awesome. |
![]() |
| Gavin weighs 1,500,000 ants. |
![]() |
| Lucy weighs 1,750,000 ants. |
![]() |
| Mom weighs lots and lots of ants. |
We also visited the Biodome (but I left my camera behind!) and shopped the sales on St. Catherine Street. We came across a Lucky Jeans store that was closing and selling its remaining stock at 90% off, so we stocked up on jeans at $8 a pair. Austin spent $5 on a nice Montreal Canadiens shirt featuring a recently-traded player's jersey number. Sweet!
Austin went to some nice restaurants with the lawyers, but the kids and I pretty much stuck to fast food. Of which there is plenty -- oh joy! -- so unlike Vermont. I ate Indian and Thai every day. The ethnic food of Quebec is Poutine (french fries smothered in cheese curds and gravy) and I liked this place that offered gourmet Poutine or, if that's too much for you, you can always go for Le smoked meat! I love French Canada.
















