Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Meeting the Author

Have I mentioned lately how much I love our mother-daughter book club?

Last night we meet for our 25th meeting (we've been going strong for more than two years now) and I think it might be the most memorable yet. We read two beautiful books by author Linda Urban -- and Ms. Urban joined us to discuss the books!




Linda Urban was AMAZING. The girls had lots of questions about her books, her characters, the writing process, and the publishing industry. She answered their questions by telling wonderful stories about experiences she had while writing the books and experiences that inspired them. The girls were rapt. She encouraged them all to write, but emphasized the importance of internal validation: we should write because we love it and find it valuable, whether anyone agrees with us or not. She talked about rejection and constructive criticism. (All of this was helpful to me, as I try to get an article written and sent out!) She ended the discussion by reading a chapter from her new book, to be released next year. I'm looking forward to adding it to our family bookshelf.





She signed the girls' books and stayed to talk with each girl (and mom!) individually. Talking with Linda Urban was like reading one of her books -- she was full of joy and generosity and she seemed genuinely interested in the aspirations of 10-year-old girls. She mentioned that she writes for the 10-12 age group because she still feels this age. I, for one, hope she never decides to grow up.