Sunday, June 10, 2012

Girls on the Run

This year, Lucy participated in the Girls on the Run program. It is led by volunteers after school (including my colleague Rowly, an ultra-marathoner) and involves training for a 5K run along with discussions emphasizing teamwork, self-esteem, positive body-image, and nutrition. I am SO thankful to all the volunteers that worked with Lucy, who absolutely loved it.

Saturday was the big 5K race for all the Girls on the Run programs in Vermont. There were literally thousands of girls there, along with volunteers and parents and supporters. Austin decided to run the race with her. He ran a half-marathon in April (I didn't blog it, I wasn't there to get pictures, but I'm very impressed with his accomplishment). I think Austin was delighted to have someone to run a race with. He and Lucy are already planning for their next tandem race, a 5K in Northfield at the end of summer. We'll see if she can keep up her training!

Getting psyched the night before.
On her wrist are strings representing laps run.

Can't run a race without hair color and face paint!

Dads (and Gavin) showing solidarity with blue mustaches.
Gavin's wore off by the end of the day, to his disappointment.

Northfield girls ready to run!

Approaching the finish line!

Lucy ran her 3.1 miles in 35 minutes.