Sunday, June 9, 2013

Camp Half-Blood

It's Brother's Day!
 
 
We've all been on a bit of a Greek mythology / Percy Jackson kick around here. Lucy, Gavin, and Austin have recently read or re-read all the books in both series, and Gavin has been devouring graphic novels about the Greek gods. For Brother's Day, Gav really wanted a Camp Half-Bood T-shirt just like Percy Jackson and his friends. Surprisingly, these are rather hard to come by. I found him one on Etsy but it was $35. For a kid's T-shirt!
 


So instead, I bought some orange T-shirts for the whole family, found some graphics on the internet, and made freezer-paper stencils. The shirts were fun to make and turned out way better than I expected.


 
Brother's Day dinner included nectar and ambrosia, grapes (in honor of Dionysis), Sun Chips (in honor of Apollo), Phish Food ice cream (in honor of Poseidon), and a variety of orange foods in honor of Camp Half-Blood. Gavin took a sharpie and decorated some cheapie orange cups and plates with his own version of the Camp Half-Blood logo.
 

 
After dinner we ran around outside playing capture the flag, practicing sword fighting, and playing pin-the-eye-on-the-Cyclops. Now I'm ready to head off to the Aphrodite cabin for some beauty sleep.