Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Lucy's Graduation

Lucy gave the speech at her 5th grade graduation tonight. So I'll let her words tell you what this milestone means.
 
 
I remember my first day in Northfield Elementary School, almost six years ago. I was in Kindergarten in Mrs. Zeilenga’s class. I felt so small and the fifth graders who came to our classroom to be our Big Buddies looked so big and so smart. We were just learning how to read and count. We counted up the days of school and had a party when we got to the 100th day. I brought in a tin can with 100 googly eyes glued to it. I was so proud. In fifth grade this year, we have done projects a bit more challenging, like the science fair, the colonial homes, and the biographies we wrote. In Kindergarten we set leprechaun traps and dressed up as monkeys for the school play. Now that we are in 5th grade we play instruments in the band, get leads in the school play, and we get to be the Big Buddies for the little Kindergarten kids. We have come so far.

We can’t say we did it alone. We have had so much support over the years. Teachers, parents, and friends all had a part to play in us making it this far. Our teachers put up with us every day. They had high expectations for us. Our parents supported us by helping us with our homework, and getting us to school every day. As friends we worked together on our assignments and helped each other. We have all had our differences sometimes. OK a lot of times. But we have always come together in the end.

This is our fifth grade graduation. But it is really just our halfway point. We all started school six years ago, and we have six more years until high school graduation. When we go across the street to the middle school we will be the youngest ones again. But I know that our parents will support us and we will have more great teachers to help us learn. And no matter how old we get we will always have each other. We have come so far and together we will make it all the way!

Getting a diploma from Mr. Fuller.

5th grade song: Green Day's " Time of Your Life."
(This song is also titled "Good Riddance"... hmmm ...)