Monday, September 14, 2009

Playing Soldier

I now have photographic evidence that two Sundays ago, I participated with the freshman cadets in the Dog River Run. I'm on the left, with my faculty colleague Aimee Vieira, who was crazy enough to come too.

Here's what I did:
  • Slathered my face in black and green grease paint.
  • Joined the cadets in jumping jacks, pushups, flutter kicks (though I didn't do quite as many as they did!)
  • Ran with a platoon of cadets through the woods (and kept up! For the most part.)
  • Crawled through the "Worm Pits" -- long trenches filled with mud.
  • Sloshed and swam my way down the Dog River carrying a big rock.
  • Stopped at various intervals for more pushups, flutter kicks, etc. in the water.
  • Went under every time the guns went off.

It was a TOTAL BLAST. I'm definitely doing this next year, especially if they give me camo ACUs so I look the part. I'm starting to get why my students come to Norwich to play soldier. It's surprisingly fun.

Is this so weird? I love my job.