Saturday, September 1, 2012

Cock a Doodle Doo

One of these things is not like the others . . . Can you tell?
 

Our cute little Araucana chick, Connie, turned out not to be a chick. Or at least, she didn't turn out to be a nice, egg-laying hen. Instead, to our surprise, Connie turned out to be a gorgeous but extremely noisy rooster. A few weeks ago, Connie (now Conrad) began to greet the first suggestions of dawn around 4:30 in the morning with a loud and very enthusiastic crowing.



Austin was . . . less enthusiastic. After he finally threatened to throttle Conrad with his own hands, I found a new home for the rooster. Conrad now lives with Farmer Tom. I think Conrad was originally destined for the stewpot, but Tom seems to quite like him (he is quite the handsome rooster, I must say) so Conrad is going to be housed with some nice, productive, broody hens where he can pass on his beautiful coloring to a new generation of chicks.
 
A happy ending for all.